Nottingham City Place-Based Partnership and Nottingham Majority Black Led Churches (MBLC) have formed a collaborative to support the uptake of the Covid vaccine in the black community where there have historically been higher levels of vaccine hesitancy. By introducing a Volunteer Coordinator post, working specifically with the black community, and in partnership with Nottingham Community Voluntary Service volunteers.
To help us address the vaccine hesitancy and health inequalities we have worked closely with the Pilgrim Church based in the Meadows and MBLC where a survey has been undertaken to help identify areas of concern around the vaccination from this community. The project has currently amassed over 1,000 responses, and the results of the survey will help shape our work.
One way we propose to help this work is to recruit Community Champions, who will work with their local neighbourhoods to signpost people to advice and support on health and wellbeing issues, embarking on partnership work established during the pandemic, having a focus on supporting and encouraging more people to get their Covid-19 vaccination.
The Community Champion role will include:
- Support the Covid vaccination programme – engaging with the community to dispel myths, identify concerns and provide information
- Share health information with your community, your family and friends, local groups, parents and carers
- Talk to people about your role and encourage others to sign up to be a Community Champion
- Attend regular online meetings to keep up to date with the latest information and guidance
- Take part in promotional activities, such as event, giving out leaflets, putting up posters in shops, restaurants, pubs, notice boards or community spaces. And, sharing posts on social media
We’re looking for volunteers from across the city who can help to shape this new network of Community Champions – people who really understand how their local communities work and what is important to them.
You do not need any special skills or experience to be a Community Champion – we’ll make sure you get all the training and support you need.
If you would like to volunteer to support this work you can find out more here: https://www.nottinghamcvs.co.uk/volunteering/search-for-opportunities/14424